Friday, May 5, 2017

Xiaomi Mi Sphere 360 first impressions II: unboxing, sample video, stabilization


In this post, I continue my first impressions of the Xiaomi Mijia Mi Sphere 360 camera.  This time, I'll present an unboxing a sample 360 video, and a demo of the Mi Sphere's realtime stabilization!

First, here is an unboxing video:


Now here is a sample 360 video from the Mi Sphere.  For this video, I stabilized the Mi Sphere using the Guru 360 gimbal. I did not edit the sound so you can hear the audio recording quality from the Mi Sphere.  Please note that the Guru 360's motor emits an audible sound, which can be heard in the video.


I think the video looks very detailed (sufficiently so that even though its 3.5K video resolution is technically lower than 4K, it looks at least as detailed as 4K videos from competing cameras).  One issue is that there is a slight difference in color between the front and rear lenses.  I don't know if Xiaomi will address this issue.  Another issue is that the audio is slightly out of sync with the video.

In the meantime, I also found out that the Mi Sphere 360 really does have image stabilization, and it seems to work as smoothly as, if not better than, the Insta360 Nano and Insta360 Air stabilization. However, I have not yet figured out how to save this stabilized video (I only used a screen capture utility to show a thumbnail).


If the stabilization really does work and you can export a stabilized video, that would put the Mi Sphere 360 far ahead of its competition IMHO.

WHERE TO BUY
The Mi Sphere is available from GearBest.  There's currently a sale.  You way want to get it before the sale ends!

15 comments:

  1. Looks really nice, and the image quality combined with the 6-Axis stabilization may have just put it over the 2017 Samsung Gear 360 in my search. As I use an iPhone though, one thing in the GearBest product description concerned me: "1. The post-editing function of the APP is not compatible with iOS system for the time being"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug. What they mean is that the video editor in the app doesn't seem to run on iOS. The video editor is really simple and it's just for trimming, adding music, etc. The same function can be done on 3rd party apps such as Collect 360 or V360.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete
    2. Oh great, so there are other ways to edit the footage from an iPhone? I'll have to check those apps out. Did you figure out how to record/export stabilized video yet

      Delete
    3. Sorry, I forgot that V360 and Collect 360 are not yet on iOS. However, V360 will be coming to iOS soon. Re stabilization so far I can only see it on the app or if I export the video to their own sharing site. I haven't figured out how to export stabilized video for YouTube and other sites.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete
  2. Excellent coverage and review as always Mic, thanks for the Gearbest sale link and also for posting links in your previous article to the phone apps themselves. I hear that there's some demo software on the Xiaomi website but I haven't been able to locate it as the English version of their website doesn't have any reference to the camera at all, perhaps its on the Chinese website

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best looking footage stiching wise i have seen yet. This is a great piece of hardware, just ordered. Will take it hiking next few weeks and give it a workout and see how it goes. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best looking footage stiching wise i have seen yet. This is a great piece of hardware, just ordered. Will take it hiking next few weeks and give it a workout and see how it goes. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry but I dint understand ... there is a app for iOS ??
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got my camera and back from China. I don't shoot video so cannot comment much, but for picture the stitching is really nice. I'm using the 2016 gear 360 and it has a noticeable stitching gap. But for this camera you don't have such gap. To be a bit more specific, the gap is only noticeable within about 50cm from the camera, alone the side.
    About app, they do have iOS app and it is working perfectly on my iphone 7 plus. They do have their own online picture hosting service so you can post a link of your pic to share. It can export your pic to your camera roll, the Google Streetview app can correctly import the pics. But Google Streetview cannot connect to the cam directly (understandable as its a mainly behind Great Firewall product). The app also has a viewing mode for VR, just like the cardboard app.
    So, as a iOS user, mainly taking 360 pictures, I think I will dump the gear 360 and use this one for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mic,
    thx for your great blog!
    Did you found a way to export stabilized footages? This feature is really game changing for our scopes ;)
    What about the raw output footage? I mean structure of the file you download directly from the camera without using proprietary sw: is double fish-eye format like the gear360?
    thx, Marco

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marco. So far I only know how to export stabilized footage to their own video sharing site. Re the file from the camera, yes it is similar to Samsung Gear 360 double circular fisheye. Best regards, Mic

      Delete
  8. Hey Mic, got my camera yesterday, liking it a lot so far. But can I ask, how did you get the stabilization working in your demo? I understand we can't export the stabilized video, and also that you did a screen capture to demonstrate it here, but even when viewing a live stream on my android, I'm not seeing any kind of stabilization. Is there a secret menu item somewhere that you turned on??
    Cheers,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Brian! First you record the video, with or without the phone. Then you download the video to your app. Then exit to the gallery again and go to the "local" tab. Load the video again. There's three dots on the right side to bring up a menu. Look for the one with the atomic-looking sign. That's to activate the gyro. I suggest checking out my video tutorial for guidance on this and other stuff about the xiaomi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfOLBqydbmI

      Enjoy your new cam Brian!

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Sorry for the word verification - I need it to minimize spam comments. If you want to contact me, pls. message me on the 360 Rumors Facebook page. Thank you very much!