Vive at $100 off - but only today!
If you want an HTC Vive (reviewed here), this is probably the best deal for it! (It's as much as the discount that they offered on Black Friday.)
Recently, I said that I would recommend the Oculus Rift among desktop VR systems because of the quantity and quality of the free software included with it. However, that doesn't change the fact that the HTC Vive, which I continue to be fond of, is also a great VR system, and in my opinion has the best hardware among the current desktop VR systems. By that I mean it's easier to set it up correctly and has fewer cables that you need to connect, and has a little more reliable tracking.
Another advantage of the Vive is that there is much stronger third party accessory support for the Vive compared to the Rift. In particular, there has been enthusiastic support for Vive trackers, which are peripherals that enable you to track real world objects and thus allow them to be used in the game. In fact, IKinema has been able to use just three Vive trackers, plus the HTC Vive, together with iKinema's inverse kinematics software for full body motion capture:
I think it will be a while before we'll actually be able to play games designed to utilize these trackers, but it's something to look forward to for Vive owners.
In addition to the $100 discount on the Vive, there's a huge sale on Steam VR games. Some very good games on sale include:
- Vanishing Realms ($13.99 instead of $19.99, a 30% discount). The closest thing to Zelda on VR. Note: this game doesn't list compatibility with the Rift (and the Vive) but I tried it and it works just as great with the Rift as it does with the Vive.
- The Gallery Episode 1: Call of the Starseed ($11.99 instead of $19.99, a 40% discount). An immersive adventure.
- Raw Data ($31.99 instead of $39.99, a 20% discount). A shooter with online co-op. One of the first games to reach $1 million in sales in one month.
- Sairento VR ($19.99 instead of $24.99, a 20% discount). Play as a ninja in the future, wielding swords and guns.
- Thrill of the Fight ($7.99 instead of $9.99, a 20% discount). A boxing game. The game I played the most on the HTC Vive.
Check out the list of SteamVR games on sale here.