Monday, April 17, 2017

2017 Gear 360 Manager app now live for both Android and iOS! Here are the limits I've found.

iOS version

The release version of the app for the 2017 Samsung Gear 360 (available herefirst impressions here) is now live for both Android and iOS.



Android version

The app is just called Samsung Gear 360 (it's not called Gear 360 Manager anymore).
Here is the link for Android.  (Do not use the old Gear 360 app because it's not compatible with the 2017 Gear 360).
Here is the link for iOS.

ANDROID
The Android version appears identical to the prerelease version except that there is a new sample photo.  I could not test live streaming because it requires Android 7 (Nougat) and I only have Android 6.

As noted in my first impressions, you can stitch photos and videos from the 2017 Gear 360 in full resolution on a Samsung S6 (the previous version required a Samsung S7 to stitch in 4K).  I am guessing that compatible lower end phones will also be able to stitch in full resolution.

The 2017 app works for both the 2017 Gear 360 and the original Gear 360.  The good news is that so far I have not seen a color difference between lenses on the new app when shooting with the original Gear 360, so stitching could be better.  The 2017 app also cannot stitch the original Gear 360's videos in 4K (it can stitch at 2560 x 1280).  

I also haven’t tested if a non-Samsung Android phone can trigger the original Gear 360.  In fact, I don’t know anyone *yet* who has been able to use a non-Samsung Android phone to run the 2017 app.  

IPHONE / iOS
On iOS, I tried the iPhone SE (which is listed as compatible) and iPhone 6 (which is not listed as compatible).

On iPhone SE, the app seems to behave normally until I try to connect the Gear 360 to it. Then it will freeze (it will be unresponsive) and eventually the app will just close.  I tried this several times but I was not able to use the Gear 360 with the iPhone SE.

Strangely, on the iPhone 6, the app does work.  I did get a warning saying some features don't work on my phone.

Here are some of the iOS limitations on the iPhone 6, which again, is not listed as compatible. A compatible iPhone probably has more capabilities.

- Available modes: video, photo, time lapse, video looping, landscape HDR (a true multi-shot HDR).  No live streaming on iPhone 6.  Not sure about other iOS phones.

- Photos can also be stitched up to 4096 x 2048.  To stitch in the full 5472 x 2736 resolution, you need the 360 ActionDirector desktop software.

- videos can be stitched on the phone, but only up to 3840 x 1920.  (You need the 360 ActionDirector desktop software to stitch at the full 4096 x 2048.)
- No, you can't use the 2017 app to control the original Gear 360 on iOS.

I will try again with the iPhone SE.  Hopefully it works...

Thank you very much to axel and SpecialK66 for letting me know about the release version of the app!  The 2017 Samsung Gear 360 is available here.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for trying with iPhone 6. I have one and was not sure if it will work (I assumed it could work as its not as different compared with 6s. Contacted Samsung support but they did not help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mic
    I also tried new app on s6 with 2016 360 camera. Seemed to have same functionality as old app tried HDR but also didn't seem to work in terms of taking actual bracketed shots. What have you found?
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  3. So iOS/Mac desktop users will not be able to take advantage of true 4K resolution? Didn't you say earlier the 360 ActionDirector software is only for Windows?

    Also, can you edit and upload 360 videos directly to YouTube from an iOS device?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's take a deep breath Doug. First of all, I was using the iPhone 6, which is not among the phones listed as compatible. I *suspect* that if you use a compatible phone (and the app doesn't crash), you can stitch at full resolution.
      Yes, true, the video editor is not compatible with Mac. I don't know if Mac has a separate stitcher or not. If it does not then you will need something like bootcamp to run it.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete
  4. Google Play will let me install it on my Galaxy S5 Active and Galaxy S2 Skyrocket but not my Galaxy Tab S. I tried it on my S5 and it crashes on startup. Hopefully it will get fix in an update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does the iOS version works with the Old gear 360 model?
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denis, no the iOS version does not work with the original Gear 360.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete
  6. what ios version do you have on your iphone se

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's 10.3. I'll have to check later.

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Sorry for the word verification - I need it to minimize spam comments. If you want to contact me, pls. message me on the 360 Rumors Facebook page. Thank you very much!