Wednesday, April 12, 2017

2017 Gear 360 Hands-on First Impressions: Everything I know so far


A few days ago, I posted my first impressions of the 2017 Gear 360.  Now here is a video of my first impressions of the 2017 Gear 360, and some new discoveries.
Here is the video.  Warning: it's long and detailed!

Some additional notes

Sample photos here: 

Sample video here: 

New discoveries:  
- Compatibility: The new Gear 360's 4K video can be stitched on a Samsung S6 at full resolution.  (The original Gear 360 could only stitch at 4K on a Samsung S7.)  However, even with the new app, I could not stitch 4K videos from the original Gear 360.

Stitching:  the new Gear 360's photos can be stitched on a desktop with the ActionDirector software from the original Gear 360.  The benefit is that the stitch would be smoother compared to the app.  However, the ActionDirector software could not stitch videos from the 2017 Gear 360.

Overheating:  At 73.5 F (around 23 C) indoors, I was able to record continuously at 4k for 29 minutes and 37 seconds.  I did not test recording at 2560 x 1280 resolution (Samsung claims 1 hour 30 mins recording time at 1280p).

- External power:  The Samsung Gear 360 can be plugged to a USB power source and still be able to record.   It appears that it will not use the battery while plugged in.  Before recording, I saw the battery at 95%. I plugged it in and saw a lightning bolt sign, indicating it was charging.   While it was charging, I could still record.  After 5 minutes of recording, the battery was still at 95%.  I conclude that when plugged in, it doesn't use up the battery.

2 comments:

  1. Mic, my friend, please see if you might be able to clean the buzz from the audio.
    I couldn't listen to it, because of the buzz. I, instead, downloaded the video and am cleaning the audio up before listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich. Sorry about that! I discovered the buzzing too late. I tried using software to clean it up but it would not (if I set it to maximum the buzz would go away but the audio would get muffled). But I will make another video tonight. Sorry for that! And the good news is that with the Action Director stitching, photo stitching is even smoother!

      Best regards,
      Mic

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! Sorry for the word verification - I need it to minimize spam comments. If you want to contact me, pls. message me on the 360 Rumors Facebook page. Thank you very much!